Did you know that gulkand acts like a wine! No, not in giving you a buzz, but that like wine, it also gets better as it ages. A favourite among the ancient Indo-Persians, gulkand brings in the aura along with its essence. Used in several gastronomies these days, gulkand also works as a mouth-freshener and is thus consumed with paan. But the most important part about gulkand is that more than a delicacy, it is a natural healer…if consumed properly in the right quantity and with the right ingredient.
So here is a pro tip, to get the best benefit of gulkand, mix a spoon or two with a glass of milk and relish it regularly. Or, if you are in the mood of whipping a glass full of thandai, mix gulkand with cold milk and thandai mix.
Now the question is why would you bother to incorporate the habit of drinking a glass of gulkand mixed milk regularly? Apart from the fact that it tastes delicious, here is why:
- It acts as a natural coolant: Gulkand when used in desserts, create a lip-smacking flavour that not only soothes your sweet-tooth but also cools your entire system. It helps to cool off the body from the scorching heat during the summers. Thus, gulkand + milk= solution for all heat-related issues such as fatigue, laziness, burning, stomachaches, mouth ulcers, headaches, nose bleeding, sunstroke, redness and inflammation of the eyes, or body pain.
- A great dose of calcium: Gulkand when mixed with milk, can fulfil your body’s daily calcium quota. This helps treat and make teeth and gums strong and fight women problems like leucorrhea and heavy menses.
- It acts as a digestive stimulant: This is a great cure for any digestive issue. It improves body metabolism appetite, thus keeping you fit. Also, gulkand, when consumed with milk, reduces acidity, constipation, peptic ulcer, and gastritis, keeping your intestine away from ulcers and swelling.
- Great stress buster: Gulkand mixed with milk at night is medicine for sound sleep as well. It keeps the heart and nervous system under control, reducing stress.
- Get a flawless skin: This rose jam when consumed with milk purifies your blood and can bring a rosy glow to your skin by reducing pimples, acne, redness, rash, inflammation, itching and blemishes.
Well, now since you know that gulkand is not just for taste, but also for nutrition, let me also tell you that the best benefits of gulkand can only be derived from a quality product, free of any kind of adulteration. So, at Masala Monk, we have curated this homemade Gulabo to help you get gulkand in its purest form.
An often asked question is – Does Gulkand increase Weight? Well I think with some confidence we can say – No Gulkand does not increase weight, given that you stick to a teaspoon or two a day. If you are having 2 teaspoons a day, you essentially would be consuming 1 Teaspoon of sugar, you can always count in that your Macros and Calorie intake and plan accordingly. We know it is delicious and as tasty tempted as you might be, eating the whole jar at once is highly NOT recommended.