When we think of mangoes, tropical locations like India, Mexico, or the Caribbean often come to mind. However, did you know that the United States is also home to several unique and native mango varieties? In this extensive blog post, we’ll dive deeper into the world of American-grown mangoes, exploring their characteristics, flavors, origins, and the five most expensive varieties that have captivated enthusiasts with their exceptional taste and limited availability. Get ready to embark on a flavorful journey through the diverse mango landscape of the USA! 🥭🇺🇸
🇺🇸 Native Mangoes of the USA While mangoes are not native to the United States, there are regions within the country where these delicious fruits are grown with great success. Let’s explore some noteworthy native mango varieties:
- Haden Mango: The Haden mango, originally from Florida, is one of the most well-known and widely cultivated mango varieties in the state. It features a vibrant red and green skin with a distinctive elongated shape. The flesh is rich, sweet, and aromatic, with a smooth texture and minimal fiber content. The Haden mango serves as the foundation for mango cultivation in the United States and has been instrumental in the development of other varieties.
- Keitt Mango: Another native variety, the Keitt mango, is primarily grown in California, but it also thrives in Florida. This large-sized mango has a smooth green skin with occasional red blush. The flesh is juicy, sweet, and slightly tart, offering a delightful tropical flavor. One of the remarkable characteristics of the Keitt mango is its extended harvest season, making it available well into the late summer months.
- Tommy Atkins Mango: Though originally from Florida, the Tommy Atkins mango is now cultivated in various regions across the United States, including Florida, California, and Hawaii. It is characterized by its medium to large size, vibrant red and green skin, and firm, fiberless flesh. While its flavor may not be as intense as some other varieties, the Tommy Atkins mango is still enjoyed for its sweet taste and versatility.
- Kent Mango: The Kent mango, which originated in Florida, is now cultivated in other states like California as well. It is known for its large and oval shape, smooth green skin with a reddish blush, and juicy, fiberless flesh. The Kent mango offers a sweet and rich flavor with tropical undertones, making it a favorite among mango enthusiasts and a popular choice for culinary creations.
- Palmer Mango: Developed in Florida, the Palmer mango is a relatively new variety that has gained recognition for its unique characteristics. It features an attractive orange and yellow skin with a slight blush. The flesh is sweet, juicy, and fiberless, offering a delightful eating experience. The Palmer mango is highly regarded for its exceptional taste and distinct aroma.
🥭💰 The 5 Most Expensive Native Mango Varieties Within the realm of native mangoes in the USA, some varieties stand out for their exclusivity, limited availability, and extraordinary taste. Here are the five most expensive native mango varieties that have captivated the palates of mango connoisseurs:
- Beverly Mango: The Beverly mango, native to Florida, is considered one of the most expensive mango varieties in the world. It is known for its small size, intense fragrance, and incredibly sweet, smooth, and fiberless flesh. The limited supply and high demand contribute to its prestigious status and premium price.
- Fairchild Mango: Named after the renowned botanist David Fairchild, this mango variety is native to Florida. It is highly valued for its exotic flavor profile, melting texture, and floral aroma. The Fairchild mango is a rare find, with limited production, making it a highly sought-after and expensive choice.
- Mallika Mango: Developed through hybridization in Florida, the Mallika mango offers a unique combination of flavors, including hints of citrus, sweetness, and spice. It has a medium-sized fruit with a fiberless flesh and an intense aroma. The Mallika mango is prized for its exceptional taste and limited availability, commanding a higher price in the market.
- Gary Mango: Named after its creator, Gary Zill, this mango variety is native to Florida. It is renowned for its extraordinary flavor profile, with notes of tropical fruit, citrus, and honey. The Gary mango has a small to medium-sized fruit, a fiberless texture, and an alluring aroma that contributes to its high price tag.
- Phoenix Mango: Originating from Florida, the Phoenix mango is revered for its exquisite flavor, combining sweetness with subtle acidity and hints of tropical fruit. It features a medium to large-sized fruit with a vibrant yellow skin and occasional red blush. The smooth, fiberless flesh and limited availability make the Phoenix mango a highly sought-after and expensive variety.
🥭🇺🇸 Native mangoes of the USA offer a delightful twist to the world of this beloved tropical fruit. From the well-known Haden and Keitt to the exclusive and luxurious Beverly and Phoenix, these native varieties showcase the diversity of flavors and quality that can be found within the country. While their availability may be limited, exploring and savoring these exceptional mangoes is an experience worth pursuing for true mango enthusiasts. Embrace the pride of homegrown mangoes and indulge in the exquisite taste of these native treasures! 🇺🇸🥭