Mangosteen, often referred to as the “queen of fruits,” is a tropical fruit native to Southeast Asia. It’s recognized for its unique appearance with a deep purple rind encasing soft, aromatic white flesh. Its sweet-tart flavor and numerous health benefits have made it a favorite among fruit enthusiasts worldwide.
Per 100 grams, fresh mangosteen provides:
- Calories: 73
- Protein: 0.41 grams
- Fat: 0.58 grams
- Carbohydrates: 17.91 grams
- Fiber: 1.8 grams
- Vitamin C: 12% of the DV
- Calcium: 1% of the DV
- Iron: 1% of the DV
Mangosteen comes with an impressive range of health benefits:
- Rich in Antioxidants: Mangosteen is packed with powerful antioxidants known as xanthones. These antioxidants protect your body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Boosts Immune System: The fruit’s vitamin C content aids in boosting your immune system, helping your body fight off illness.
- Supports Digestive Health: Mangosteen is a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and prevents constipation.
While mangosteen is generally safe for consumption, a few precautions should be taken:
- Allergies: Some individuals may be allergic to mangosteen. Symptoms could include itching, hives, and difficulty breathing. If you have any adverse reactions after consuming mangosteen, seek medical help immediately.
- Interactions with Medications: Mangosteen may interfere with certain medications, particularly blood thinners and chemotherapy drugs. If you’re on medication, it’s advisable to consult with your healthcare provider before including mangosteen in your diet.
Weight Loss Benefits
Mangosteen offers several benefits for those on a weight-loss journey:
- Low in Calories: Mangosteen is relatively low in calories, making it a good choice for those looking to reduce their calorie intake.
- Dietary Fiber: The fiber in mangosteen can help to increase feelings of fullness, potentially leading to reduced calorie intake throughout the day.
- Hydrating: Mangosteen has high water content, helping to keep you hydrated and potentially aiding in weight loss.
Five Practical Ways to Incorporate Mangosteen into Your Diet for Weight Loss
- Mangosteen Smoothie Bowl: Blend mangosteen with some frozen bananas, pour into a bowl, and top with your favorite fruits, nuts, and seeds for a nutritious, filling breakfast.
- Mangosteen Juice: Blend mangosteen and strain it to make a refreshing juice. You can add a little lemon and mint for an extra burst of freshness.
- Salads: Dice some mangosteen and toss it into your favorite salad. Its sweet-tart flavor pairs well with many other ingredients.
- Mangosteen Yogurt Parfait: Layer Greek yogurt, granola, and fresh mangosteen in a glass for a balanced snack.
- Chilled Mangosteen Soup: Blend mangosteen with a bit of honey and chill it for a refreshing soup. Serve with a dollop of low-fat yogurt.
Mangosteen is a versatile fruit with a delightful flavor profile and an array of health benefits. Including it in your diet can provide you with potent antioxidants, boost your immune system, and aid in weight loss. Whether in smoothie bowls, juices, salads, yogurt parfaits, or even in a refreshing soup, mangosteen can be a flavorful addition to your weight-loss journey.